Motivation is the invisible thing that gets us going and makes us want to achieve our goals… to do the best we can in life. I find that the will to transform ourselves into something better is a universal spark, yet igniting that initial flame of motivation can feel like striking a match in the rain. More importantly once that spark turns into a flame, to keep the fire burning, one must first grasp what motivation truly means on a personal level. For most of us entrepreneurs, motivation is what makes us want to be better than we were yesterday and chase after our wildest dreams.
Motivation can come from many things, like the feeling of success when we achieve something, or the desire we have to do our best. It can also come from the goals we set that mean something to us and make us want to work hard to achieve them.
But sometimes, it’s tough to keep motivated, especially when we’re feeling down or dealing with mental health issues like depression or anxiety. That’s when it’s important to remember that we need to find motivation from within, instead of relying on outside influences.
So how do you stay motivated when the initial spark isn’t catching? Here are a few time tested strategies to help you get through:
- Set your sights on a clear, attainable goal. Small victories pave the way to grand achievements.
- Stay focused on what awaits you at the finish line. Visualizing the benefits of your efforts can be a powerful catalyst.
- Employ frequent reminders and break down your objectives into manageable chunks.
- Select goals that resonate with your passions and interests; authentic desire is a robust motivator.
- Declare your ambitions—either on paper or out loud—by doing this you are making a commitment that’s hard to ignore.
Regaining Momentum When It Wanes
Stumbling blocks are inevitable. When motivation slips through your fingers try these tips:
- Discuss it with a trusted friend. A problem shared can be a problem halved, and camaraderie can illuminate the path forward.
- Don’t hesitate to seek professional advice. A counselor or a life coach can help tailor a custom motivation strategy that’s just right for you.
In harnessing the power of motivation, we learn not just to dream of change but to set the wheels of change in motion. As we navigate each turn, we discover that the true joy of the journey lies in arriving at our destination, but also in the growth we savor along the way.